Women's Arc Scout 50L Backpack
I ended up with a Women's ARC HAUL SCOUT 50L and couldn't be happier! LOVE my pack and LOVE this company!
Designed specifically for women and hikers with shorter torsos, the Arc Scout comfortably transfers your pack’s weight to your hips with our patented ‘Arc Frame’ system. The frame also creates a gap between your back and the pack allowing for air flow that helps keeps you cool.
A smaller frame size creates a good fit for most hikers with a torso height shorter than 17" (43cm).
Featuring adjustable shoulder straps, an interchangeable belt, and a variety of optional modular add-ons, the Arc Scout will allow you to tackle those long days on the trail with a durable ultralight backpack designed to fit you.
- Constructed from 3.1 oz/sqyd Dyneema® Composite Fabric (Hybrid).
- Roll-top closure (like our dry bags) keeps water out, and lets you roll down the top as your gear load shrinks. All seams and attachment points are taped, making the pack highly water resistant. We still suggest using dry bags for your important items like your sleeping bag.
- Comfy 3/8" thick by 2.5" wide padded contoured shoulder straps and padded belt. Both the straps and the belt have a daisy chain for clipping on items, and an adjustable position sternum strap is also included. The belt and shoulder straps have 3D mesh on the underside. This gives them a little bit more cushion, and the belt also has more texture for better grip.
- Side pockets are sized to fit 1 or 1.5 liter bottles. They are positioned low on the pack and slanted forward for easy access without removing the pack. The pockets have drainage holes at the bottom, and elastic that keeps them tight at the top.
- Large stretchy mesh center pocket is great for quick access items. Mesh also lets you dry wet clothing and gives you a clear view of your gear.
- Side compression straps are made from non-stretchy Dyneema® cord for squishing down the pack volume. They also allow you to stand tall items like trekking poles in the side pockets.
- A top strap, and base straps allow you to lash on extra items to the top or base of the pack. The straps come off if you don't need them.
- A centrally located Hydration Port is included to string out a drinking tube over either the left or right shoulder. It is just above/between the shoulder straps and it has a triangular cover to keep out water. A water bladder can either be hung from an internal hang loop or laid horizontally on top of your gear.
- The 50L pack size has enough space for 5-6 days of food and ultralight gear. The pack can be compressed down with the roll-top and side compression straps for short trips or use the top strap and base straps to lash extra stuff to the outside for long carries.
- All standard Bear Canisters, including the Bearikade Expedition and the BearVault 500 will fit in the upper half of this pack standing on end. There is enough extra girth to either wrap a foam pad around the canister (if you use one) or stand a medium stuff sack vertically beside the bear canister.
- The short and medium size frames will fit into an airplane overhead bin with the top rolled down to the frame. The tall size frame may not fit unless you pop the vertical frame bars out of the pack.
- Our Flexed Arc Frame is is covered by US Patent No. 9,060,590
- Our torso height adjustment mechanism is is covered by US Patent No. 9,848,687
- All Zpacks gear has a two year limited warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Please see our return / warranty policy.
- Made in the USA.
- Our ultralight Flexed Arc frame keeps the pack stiff so that most weight is carried on the hips instead of the shoulders. The frame pieces and mesh back panel can be easily removed or replaced.
- The frame is curved to allow air flow and keep your back cushioned from the pack's contents. You can adjust the curve by tensioning the mesh back panel. The recommended arch is about 2.5" (6 cm).
- The belt is attached directly to the bottom of the pack frame for the best load transfer.
- The belt is removable and interchangeable. If you lose weight or need to share the pack between people the belt can be swapped out. Watch the belt removal video for more information.
- The shoulder straps and load lifter straps are attached directly to the frame. Load lifters straps come standard on this pack.
- The shoulder straps can move up or down to adjust the torso height to a perfect fit using our patented torso adjustment mechanism. It works like a conveyor belt. This is great for sharing the pack between people, for growing teenagers, or for resale.
- The belt provides a full wrap around your back. No need for additional lumbar support.
- The belt is done with "V-Style" webbing so that the top and bottom circumference can be adjusted independently. This helps wrap your hips much more securely and prevents the belt from sliding down.
- Collectively, these features provide the additional load transfer necessary for loads up to around 35 lbs (16 kg).
Body dimensions: 7" x 12.5" x 26" (18 cm x 31.8 cm x 64 cm)
Volume: 50L (37L main body, 2.5L each side pocket, 8L center pocket)
Frame Height: 17.5" (44.5 cm)
Made with Bio-Based Dyneema® Fiber
Reduce your carbon footprint with DSM’s bio-based Dyneema® fiber technology. Sourced from renewable, bio-based feedstock, it is the first ever bio-based ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (HMPE) fiber. Commit to sustainability and help reduce our reliance on fossil fuel resources and rely on the trusted performance of the world’s strongest fiber™. Click here to learn more about our sustainability initiatives.
Made in the USA.
.3.5 oz/sqyd Mesh
This is the mesh that we use on our backpack's center pockets. It has a relatively light weight for mesh, while being difficult to tear. It can withstand getting caught on branches and other typical abrasion that backpacks are subjected to. The hole size is a about 4 mm (a little over 1/8").
Weight: 3.5 oz/sqyd (119 g/m²)
5.3 oz/sqyd 3D Spacer Mesh
This mesh has a three-dimensional structure which allows airflow and adds cushioning. It has a tricot backing so you can't see clear through the holes. We use it on the underside of our backpack's shoulder straps and belts to absorb sweat, add cushion, and add grip. Our 3D mesh weighs less than most other types.
Weight: 5.3 oz/sqyd (180 g/m²)
Thickness: About 3/32" (2.5 mm)
To measure your torso height, you will need the help of a friend and a string or cloth tape measure.
Most hikers wear their belt near the top of their hips, however, it isn’t uncommon for hikers to position their belt higher or lower.
To ensure you lock in the perfect fit, we suggest putting a belt on over your clothes in the spot where you’d like to belt to ride. Start your measurement at the center of the belt where it meets your spine.
Lower your chin towards your chest. This will cause the C7 vertebrae to protrude at the base of your neck. The C7 vertebrae will mark the top of your torso height measurement.
Using the string or cloth tape measure, follow the curve of your spine up from the center of your belt to your C7 vertebrae. This measurement is your torso height.
The padded portion of the belt is 1" shorter than the listed minimum adjustment. For example a "Medium (30-36 inches)" belt has padding which measures about 29" tip to tip, and has a minimum adjustment circumference of 30". It is the recommended size if your actual measurement is up to 36" however the webbing extends further.
To measure your belt size, pull a string or cloth tape measure tight around the spot you’d like your belt to ride. Choose a belt with a minimum adjustment of a couple inches smaller than your actual waist measurement. This will leave room for you to tighten down the belt if you lose a little weight on trail.
The belts on our Arc Series packs are also removable and interchangeable. This will give you the ability to switch the belt out if your waist size changes or if you order the incorrect size by mistake.
Click here for full instructions on how to wash our Dyneema® Composite Fabric backpacks.
- Arc Blast
I’ve used this pack on two 4-day backpacking trips. I love it so far. It’s so light and comfortable that I didn’t get any back pain/soreness. My shoulders still got sore when it was fully loaded, but toward the end of the trip I barely felt it at all. I’m 5’2” with ~16” torso and was previously using a child-size backpack. My base weight is about 11lb. Even though this pack is small enough for my body it still feels very roomy inside, and I love the outside pockets. I wish it had one zipper pocket for small important items, but I solved this by attaching a zipper pouch to the side cinch cord. I hiked through two wet days and everything inside stayed dry.
Taking this thing to maine!!
I love my pack! It’s my home and one of my most crucial pieces of gear on the AT. I love it and can’t say enough good things about it! Hope it lasts long enough to take it in the PCT too!!
Add some colour
Super light and the exactly right size for the stuff I carry. I chose the grey one and changed the black compression straps into neon-yellow 2mm Z-Line cords to add some colour.
Finally found my pack!
Great product. Finally found the pack I have been looking for all along. Gone thru several others and just could not make them work. This pack really fits all my needs and met all my expectations.
I did extensive research for a pack that would work for my short torso and be light enough, due to recent surgery. I sent numerous emails to Zpack with questions. Jamie, 'Field Trip' was awesome! She was kind, patient, and answered every question with honesty. I ended up with an ARC HAUL SCOUT 50L and couldn't be happier! LOVE my pack and LOVE this company!