Sub-Nero 30L ROBIC Backpack
The Sub Nero is definitely the best pack for ultralight backpackers that have their kit stripped down.
The perfect ultralight frameless pack for a SUL thru-hike or a lightweight overnighter, the Sub-Nero is a smaller and slightly more stripped down version of our popular Nero Backpack.
Streamlined to only the most essential features, the Sub-Nero is great for hikers with dialed in base weights and minimalist kits.
The ROBIC® version of the Sub-Nero is highly durable and provides added abrasion resistance over the DCF version.
Featuring a sit pad, and a variety of optional modular add-ons, the highly versatile Sub-Nero allows you to get the most out of any day, section, or thru-hike.
- Constructed from a mix of 3.7 oz/sqyd 100D and 5.8 oz/sqyd 210D ROBIC® Material.
- Small and streamlined design eliminates the need for a webbing belt.
- Strategically placed attachment loops accommodate our most popular backpack add-ons like our Top Side Pockets, Shock Cord Lashing and Ice Axe Loops.
- Integrated roll-top closure straps clip to the sides of the pack using the same 1/2” side release buckles featured on our Arc Series backpacks. The straps can be cinched to compress the pack's volume or used to stand tall items like trekking poles in the side pockets.
- A closed cell foam sit pad measuring 11" x 15.5" (28 cm x 39.4 cm) is included and adds an additional 1 ounce to the total weight of the pack. The foam provides some cushion and support against your back. The sit pad is held in place with shock cord and comes off quickly for breaks. The shock cord (.3 oz / 8.5 g) and sit pad are removable and replaceable.
- The pack material is waterproof and is constructed using hydrophobic thread, making the pack highly water resistant.
- Comfy 3/8" thick by 2.75" wide padded contoured shoulder straps. The straps have a daisy chain for clipping on items, and an adjustable position sternum strap is included. The shoulder straps have 3D mesh on the underside which gives them a little bit more cushion.
- Side pockets are sized to fit 1 or 1.5 liter bottles. They are positioned low on the pack and slanted forward for easy access without removing the pack. The pockets have drainage holes at the bottom, and elastic that keeps them tight at the top.
- Large stretchy Lycra mesh center pocket is great for quick access items. Mesh also lets you dry wet clothing and gives you a clear view of your gear.
- This pack can be folded up to fit inside a 1 gallon Ziploc bag. It can easily be packed in your luggage or used as a carry-on.
- All Zpacks gear has a two year limited warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Please see our return / warranty policy.
- Made in the USA.
Pack Weight: 9.5 ounces (276 g) | Foam sit pad adds 1.0 oz (28 g)
Body dimensions: 5.5" x 10" x 19" (14 cm x 25 cm x 48 cm)
Volume: 30L (17L main body, 2.5L each side pocket, 8L center pocket)
Load Capacity: Recommended up to 20 lbs (9 kg)
5.8 oz/sqyd 210D ROBIC®
We use this heavier weight of ROBIC® to add strength and durability in high wear areas. We use this material for the pockets of the Sub-Nero.
Weight: 5.8 oz/sqyd (197 g/m²)
5.3 oz/sqyd 3D Spacer Mesh
This mesh has a three-dimensional structure which allows airflow and adds cushioning. It has a tricot backing so you can't see clear through the holes. We use it on the underside of our backpack's shoulder straps and belts to absorb sweat, add cushion, and add grip. Our 3D mesh weighs less than most other types.
Weight: 5.3 oz/sqyd (180 g/m²)
Thickness: About 3/32" (2.5 mm)
- base weight
Love this pack for over nights or day hikes.
I usually hike with an Osprey Exos 58 which I always liked a lot. Had been wanting an ultralight setup for a long time though, so my wife surprised me with this 30L pack. Love the ROBIC material and simple yet comfortable design of this pack. Took on a 4 day in Sequoia with a 7lb base weight. Felt free hiking that light. Didn't sacrifice any comfort either. Can't recommend this pack enough FOR BACKPACKING OR DAY HIKES.
I love this bag for a few reasons. 1) Super light weight and versatile. 2) No bulky zippers to screw around with. With mine I’ve found I prefer to use the roll top without the side compression straps. I simply roll the top down till satisfied, and pass the buckles through a small loop I made near the “top carry handle” to secure the roll closer to the bag. I then use the compression straps across the face of the bag, to secure items hanging out in the mesh pouch. These can also be run through the loop on a water bottle to leash it as well. Allowing you to secure items in the outside pockets if you choose and compress the bag further. A+ Will probably buy the 38L at some point too.
Highly recommend the Sub-Nero Robic pack. I used the DCF versions of Zpacks bags for year, and they are great! But I am definitely going with the Robic material moving forward. I can tell that it will last much longer, and it feels more like a pack, vs a hardened trash bag. The Sub Nero is definitely the best pack for ultralight backpackers that have their kit stripped down. It even challenged me to think differently about how I pack, because there is such a small amount of space compared to other packs. Love it!
Sub-stantial little pack
perfect little crazy light backpack for day trips - holds plenty with internal space and external huge main pocket and side water bottle holders. of course, i've been too busy working to use it yet but I just like having it for now! and will put it to good use at some point.