Nero 38L ROBIC Backpack
Fit and comfort is great. Highly recommend this pack.
**This backpack has been replaced by our newer Nero Ultra. It has a similar design but is constructed with a more durable Ultra material and a slightly modified feature set.
Designed for hikers pushing their limits and obsessing over every gram. The ultralight Nero is a compact frameless backpack streamlined to only the most essential features making it great for hikes where less weight and volume is required.
Multiple thru-hikes of the Triple Crown trails have been completed with the Nero, helping to prove that smaller volume frameless packs are a legitimate approach to long-distance hiking.
The ROBIC® version of the Nero is highly durable and provides added abrasion resistance over the DCF version.
Featuring a removable webbing belt, sit pad, and a variety of optional modular add-ons, the highly versatile Nero will allow you to get the most out of any day, section, or thru-hike.
- Constructed from a mix of 3.7 oz/sqyd 100D and 5.8 oz/sqyd 210D ROBIC® Material.
- Strategically placed attachment loops accommodate our most popular backpack add-ons like our Top Side Pockets, Shock Cord Lashing and Ice Axe Loops.
- Three belt positions allow you to move the webbing belt up or down to fit a range of torso heights. The included belt is 1" (2.5 cm) wide and has a maximum adjustment of about 50" (127 cm) circumference. The belt contributes 1.2 ounces (34 grams) to the total weight. It can be trimmed down or removed.
- Belt pouches with integrated belt pads are sold separately for those who desire more belt cushioning.
- Integrated roll-top closure straps clip to the sides of the pack using the same 1/2” side release buckles featured on our Arc Series backpacks. The straps can be cinched to compress the pack's volume or used to stand tall items like trekking poles in the side pockets.
- A closed cell foam sit pad measuring 11" x 15.5" (28 cm x 39.4 cm) is included and adds an additional 1 ounce to the total weight of the pack. The foam provides some cushion and support against your back. The sit pad is held in place with shock cord and comes off quickly for breaks. The shock cord (.3 oz / 8.5 g) and sit pad are removable and replaceable.
- The shock cord can also be re-tied to accommodate up to 20" tall folded sleeping pads, or taller sit pads.
- The pack material is waterproof and is constructed using hydrophobic thread, making the pack highly water resistant.
- Comfy 3/8" thick by 2.75" wide padded contoured shoulder straps. The straps have a daisy chain for clipping on items, and an adjustable position sternum strap is included. The shoulder straps have 3D mesh on the underside which gives them a little bit more cushion.
- Side pockets are sized to fit 1 or 1.5 liter bottles. They are positioned low on the pack and slanted forward for easy access without removing the pack. The pockets have drainage holes at the bottom, and elastic that keeps them tight at the top.
- Large stretchy Lycra mesh center pocket is great for quick access items. Mesh also lets you dry wet clothing and gives you a clear view of your gear.
- This pack can be folded up to fit inside a 1 gallon Ziploc bag. It can easily be packed in your luggage or used as a carry-on.
- All Zpacks gear has a two year limited warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Please see our return / warranty policy.
- Made in the USA.
Pack Weight: 11.6 ounces (330 g) | Foam sit pad adds 1.0 oz (28 g)
Belt (included): 1" (2.5 cm) wide x 50" (127 cm) circumference, 1.2 oz (34 g)
Body dimensions: 5.5" x 12" x 23" (14 cm x 30 cm x 59 cm)
Volume: 38L (25L main body, 2.5L each side pocket, 8L center pocket)
Load Capacity: Recommended up to 20 lbs (9 kg)
5.8 oz/sqyd 210D ROBIC®
We use this heavier weight of ROBIC® to add strength and durability in high wear areas. We use this material for the pockets of the Nero.
Weight: 5.8 oz/sqyd (197 g/m²)
5.3 oz/sqyd 3D Spacer Mesh
This mesh has a three-dimensional structure which allows airflow and adds cushioning. It has a tricot backing so you can't see clear through the holes. We use it on the underside of our backpack's shoulder straps and belts to absorb sweat, add cushion, and add grip. Our 3D mesh weighs less than most other types.
Weight: 5.3 oz/sqyd (180 g/m²)
Thickness: About 3/32" (2.5 mm)
This backpack has three belt attachment positions allowing you to move the belt up or down to fit a range of torso heights. The actual distance on the pack from the bottom of the belt to the top of the shoulder straps can be adjusted from about 18" to 22" (46 to 56 cm), which will fit most adults. On a frameless backpack, it is nice to have the shoulder straps roughly level with the tops of your shoulders (rather than wrapping up around them) so that more weight is forced on to the webbing belt. The pack body does not extend much above your shoulders and load lifter straps are not needed.
The webbing belt will fit up to around 50" circumference and can be trimmed down for smaller waists or swapped out for larger waists. To move the belt to a different position, slide off the belt buckle and back the webbing out of the backpack attachment points.
Great pack that needs some design adjustments/options.
I've had this pack for a year, and use it all the time. From heavy shopping trip hauls to day hikes to overnights. Overall. very sturdy, light, waterproof, and some good touches. But, some things seem to need fixing. The back pad on the outside of the pack moves around and isn't truly secured. If you use it a lot it works loose, falls out, and starts to seem a real annoyance. I ended up putting it inside the pack and velcro-ing it to the back side. Not great but better. A slim pocket inside - or outside would work better for the pad. Or other attachment to the back than loose cords. The back stretch net pocket is very nice and used a lot. Would prefer it had some type of clip closure at top that could be used when valuables - binoculars, camera - or a water bladder - are in it. And left open most of the time. Speaking of water bladders, because it's sealed completely, no way to string a pipe from the pack. Be warned. Finally, it really could use a sealable pocket outside for easy to keep valuables. A zipper pocket would be best. Z-Packs offers tack on or belt pockets so I guess that counts, but not the same as an integrated pocket - at least for me. Otherwise, I like it a lot and would recommend.
Hi Paul, Thank you for the feedback. It is very valuable to us! I will pass it along to our design team. BTW- Great photo!! Update! I just heard that we have a new pack coming in the next few months that will address some of your concerns. Check back with us!!
Haven’t used it yet but it seems to be good quality. Should be right for my ultralight set up
Fit and comfort is great. Highly recommend this pack.
All I ever wanted in a 38L bag.
I made the switch from DCF to ROBIC and love it.
Easy weight loss!!
My new pack is light, kept my stuff dry, AND I can reach and retrieve my water bottle with our help!! I recommend this pack.