Bear Bagging Kit
Keep your food safe from bears, rodents, and other woodland creatures with our ultralight Bear Bagging Kit. Featuring a Large Food Bag, Rock Sack and 50ft of 2.0mm Z-Line Slick Cord, our Bear Bagging kit is everything you need to make sure your food is safe while you sleep.
- Constructed from 1.6 oz/sqyd Dyneema® Composite Fabric. By comparison our regular Dry Bags are made from thinner 1.0 oz/sqyd material.
- Easily stands up to the abuse of bear bagging heavy loads or pointy food items.
- A Carabiner is included with the Large Food Bag for hanging the bag from the roll top!
- The rectangular shape has a wider opening so that you can find your food items easier. It also fits well standing upright or sideways in our packs.
- This size will typically fit up to 5-6 days of food.
- Fully taped seams. Our food bags will keep water out in typical backpacking conditions where the bag is not submerged.
- The top of the bags seal with stiff velcro to make closing and rolling the top easy! Air can escape from the rolled velcro, allowing these to squish flatter in your backpack as more gear is piled on top.
- Our Dyneema® Z-Line slick cord glides over branches better than lines with a polyester sheath.
- 50 feet is more than you need - extra is included in case you get it snagged or need some for other uses.
- We chose our thicker 2 mm line because it is easier to handle and less prone to tangling than thinner bear lines.
- The gray color line is harder for bears and other animals to find and chew through.
- A rock sack makes bear bagging easier. Just put in a rock, pebbles, or sand, tie on your cord, and toss it up over a branch.
- The material is even slightly rodent resistant as persistent rodents usually give up before causing major damage to the bag.
- For other storage options that will protect your gear from moisture, check out our Dry Bags collection.
- All Zpacks gear has a two year limited warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Please see our return / warranty policy.
- Made in the USA.
The Kit includes:
Large Roll Top Food Bag - 1.5 ounces (43 grams)
50 feet of 2 mm Z-Line Slick cord - 1.7 ounces (48 grams)
Rock Sack: .1 ounce (2.8 grams)
Mini Carabiner: .1 ounce (2.8 grams)
Total Weight of all components:
3.4 ounces (96 grams)
Flat Dimensions: 17" wide x 19.5" tall (43 cm x 50 cm)
Full Dimensions: 11" wide by 6" deep by 13" tall (28 cm x 15 cm x 33 cm)
Volume: 850 cubic inches / 14 Liters
- bear bag
Amazing. So much with such a small package
I like my Zpacks Food Bag! Stores way more than I can eat and fits well in my 62L pack. The food bag is great, but I don’t care for the line that came with the hang kit. Personal preference & I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why it’s superior, but it didn’t work so well for me. Gets stuck on itself, and grabbing it with soaking & cold hands to PCT-hang, tears up my delicate-soft beautiful man-hands. I’m going to replace the line with some para-cord and see if that’s better. Would I buy it again? Sure! It’s better than Mr. Bear waking me up for a snackie. That’s my pot-pie!
This kit has everything you need to keep your food and wildlife safe. I would suggest the large as you don't have to use it. I have the large size and it handles all my food storage for five days no problem. Light weight easy and reliable.
This is our second bear bagging kit. My wife and I were on the AT in 2019 and plan to return to finish in 2021. We decided we needed two bear bags when we go back on trail. We have only praise for our first kit. The bag and cord are unbelievably strong and weigh very little. We can't wait to go back!
This bear bag kit is a solid set and all you need to safely hang your food while in the back country. The only criticism I have is that the z-line is slick (even when new) and can make it tough to pull up a heavier load (or if there’s a lot of friction from the branch)