Bear Bagging Kit
Keep your food safe from bears, rodents, and other woodland creatures with our ultralight Bear Bagging Kit. Featuring one of our Food Bags, a Rock Sack and 50ft of 2.0mm Z-Line Slick Cord, our Bear Bagging kit is everything you need to make sure your food is safe while you sleep.
*The color of the provided Rock Sack is random and may be any of the Dyneema® Composite Fabric colors we have in stock.*
- Constructed from 1.6 oz/sqyd Dyneema® Composite Fabric. By comparison our regular Dry Bags are made from thinner 1.0 oz/sqyd material.
- Easily stands up to the abuse of bear bagging heavy loads or pointy food items.
- A Carabiner is included with one of our Food Bags for hanging the bag from the roll top!
- The Large size will typically fit up to 5-6 days of food and the Big 3-4 Days.
- Fully taped seams. Our food bags will keep water out in typical backpacking conditions where the bag is not submerged.
- The top of the bags seal with stiff velcro to make closing and rolling the top easy! Air can escape from the rolled velcro, allowing these to squish flatter in your backpack as more gear is piled on top.
- Our Dyneema® Z-Line slick cord glides over branches better than lines with a polyester sheath.
- 50 feet is more than you need - extra is included in case you get it snagged or need some for other uses.
- We chose our thicker 2 mm line because it is easier to handle and less prone to tangling than thinner bear lines.
- The gray color line is harder for bears and other animals to find and chew through.
- A rock sack makes bear bagging easier. Just put in a rock, pebbles, or sand, tie on your cord, and toss it up over a branch.
- The material is even slightly rodent resistant as persistent rodents usually give up before causing major damage to the bag.
- For other storage options that will protect your gear from moisture, check out our Dry Bags collection.
- All Zpacks gear has a two year limited warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Please see our return / warranty policy.
- Made in the USA.
The Kit includes:
Large Roll Top Food Bag - 1.5 ounces (43 grams)
or Big Roll Top Food Bag - 1.2 oz (34 grams)
50 feet of 2 mm Z-Line Slick cord: 1.7 ounces (48 grams)
Rock Sack: .1 ounce (2.8 grams)
Mini Carabiner: .1 ounce (2.8 grams)
Total Weight of all components:
Large: 3.4 ounces (96 grams) or Big: 3.1 ounces (87 grams)
Flat Dimensions: 17" wide x 19.5" tall (43 cm x 50 cm)
Full Dimensions: 11" wide by 6" deep by 13" tall (28 cm x 15 cm x 33 cm)
Volume: 850 cubic inches / 14 Liters
Days of Food: Up to 5-6
Flat Dimensions: 12.25" wide x 19.5" tall (31 cm x 49.5 cm)
Full Dimensions: roughly 8" diameter by 13" tall (20.3 cm x 33 cm)
Volume: 650 cubic inches / 10.7 Liters
Days of Food: Up to 3-4
Made with Bio-Based Dyneema® Fiber
Reduce your carbon footprint with DSM’s bio-based Dyneema® fiber technology. Sourced from renewable, bio-based feedstock, it is the first ever bio-based ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (HMPE) fiber. Commit to sustainability and help reduce our reliance on fossil fuel resources and rely on the trusted performance of the world’s strongest fiber™. Click here to learn more about our sustainability initiatives.
Made in the USA.
- bear bag
- bear canister
All I needed
Sturdy, light weight and good quality fabric. Loving it. Would recommend.
The size of the bag was perfect for one person (it was pretty tight if you try to use this with a partner for more than a couple of days). The rock sack was very helpful (only suggestion is give us an easier way to tie the line to the rock bag). Amazingly, this stayed waterproof our entire thru hike (wife and I were 2021 AT thru hikers). Definitely 5 stars. Tip - buy the reflective line to use with this (Zpacks - offer that as an option!). More than once I relied on the reflection from the line to find my bag in the dark.
Love this, perfect size
This bear bag is perfect and makes thru hiking a snap. Holds a large amount of food if your restock is a week away. Will be using this on my upcoming 1100 Florida Trail thru hike in January. Looking forward, heard great things.
Used on a section hike of the AT
Wanna know how much food this fit? 2 large loksacs 14 freeze dried meals (11 mountain-house 3 backpacker pantry) 8 cliff bars, 5 packs of cliff gummies 5 days worth of coffee grounds I'm sure it would fit more if I wasn't using the locsaks but I like to scent proof and bear bag because it helps with rodents and reduces the interest in pulling down the bag. The cord worked perfectly, you'll appreciate the wax on the cord. Also I use a locking carabiner.. I just don't want the carabiner to lock onto the cord holding the stick when using the PCT method look no further, great bag great size.
Great Food Bag and GREAT Bear Bag!
SO I wanted a food bag that was more flexible than a rigid bear canister that I could hang confidently and that would hold up to the elements. I found a great review of this on YouTube and so I took a chance and am happy I did. Hangs well, stores in backpack well, holds up well in weather and is just plain wonderful...oh, lightweight!