Arc Zip 57L Backpack
If you want to have adventures both in traveling and hiking and crush your thru-hike with confidence in your gear, the Arc Zip is the ultralight backpack for you. The Arc Zip features a zippered front-loading panel and our adjustable and patented 'Flexed Arc' frame which creates an air gap between your back and the pack, keeping you cool and providing a super comfortable fit.
Designed to accommodate a wide variety of modular add-ons, the Arc Zip allows you to dial in your perfect set up.
- Constructed from 2.92 oz/sqyd DCF Hybrid.
- The pack body is accessed through a large zipper opening on the face of the backpack. The zipper is a #5 waterproof zipper. The top of the pack also has a Roll-Top closure (like our dry bags) which keeps water out, and lets you roll down the top as your gear load shrinks. All seams and attachment points are taped, making the pack highly water resistant. We still suggest using dry bags for your important items like your sleeping bag.
- Two internal horizontal compression straps take stress off of the zipper entry.
- Comfy 3/8" thick by 2.5" wide padded contoured shoulder straps and padded belt. Both the straps and the belt have a daisy chain for clipping on items, and an adjustable position sternum strap is also included. The belt and shoulder straps have 3D mesh on the underside. This gives them a little bit more cushion, and the belt also has more texture for better grip.
- Side pockets are sized to fit 1 or 1.5 liter bottles. They are positioned low on the pack and slanted forward for easy access without removing the pack. The pockets have drainage holes at the bottom, and elastic that keeps them tight at the top.
- The large center pocket is made with solid material and has a waterproof zipper opening. It can swallow two ultralight tents, or other similarly sized gear with room to spare.
- Side compression straps are made from non-stretchy cord for squishing down the pack volume. They also allow you to stand tall items like trekking poles in the side pockets.
- A top strap, and base straps allow you to lash on extra items to the top or base of the pack. The straps come off if you don't need them.
- A centrally located Hydration Port is included to string out a drinking tube over either the left or right shoulder. It is just above/between the shoulder straps and it has a triangular cover to keep out water. A water bladder can either be hung from an internal hang loop or laid horizontally on top of your gear.
- The pack size has enough space for 5-6 days of food and ultralight gear. The pack can be compressed down with the roll top and side compression straps for short trips or use the top strap and base straps to lash extra stuff to the outside for long carries.
- All standard Bear Canisters, including the Bearikade Expedition and the BearVault 500 will fit in the upper half of this pack standing on end. There is enough extra girth to either wrap a foam pad around the canister (if you use one), or stand a medium stuff sack vertically beside the bear canister.<
- The short and medium size frames will fit into an airplane overhead bin with the top rolled down to the frame. The tall size frame may not fit unless you pop the vertical frame bars out of the pack.
- Our Flexed Arc Frame is covered by US Patent No. 9,060,590
- Our torso height adjustment mechanism is covered by US Patent No. 9,848,687
- All Zpacks gear has a two year limited warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Please see our return / warranty policy.
- Made in the USA.
- Our ultralight Flexed Arc frame keeps the pack stiff so that most weight is carried on the hips instead of the shoulders. The frame pieces and mesh back panel can be easily removed or replaced.
- The frame is curved to allow air flow and keep your back cushioned from the pack's contents. You can adjust the curve by tensioning the mesh back panel. The recommended arch is about 2.5" (6 cm).
- The belt is attached directly to the bottom of the pack frame for the best load transfer.
- The belt is removable and interchangeable. If you lose weight or need to share the pack between people, the belt can be swapped out. Watch the belt removal video for more information.
- The shoulder straps and load lifter straps are attached directly to the frame. Load lifters straps come standard on this pack.
- The shoulder straps can move up or down to adjust the torso height to a perfect fit using our patented torso adjustment mechanism. It works like a conveyor belt. This is great for sharing the pack between people, for growing teenagers, or for resale.
- The belt provides a full wrap around your back. No need for additional lumbar support.
- The belt is done with "V-Style" webbing so that the top and bottom circumference can be adjusted independently. This helps wrap your hips much more securely and prevents the belt from sliding down.
- Collectively these features provide the additional load transfer necessary for loads up to around 35 lbs (16 kg).
Body dimensions: 7" x 12.5" x 30" (18 cm x 31.8 cm x 76 cm)
Volume: 57L (42L main body, 2.5L each side pocket, 10L center pocket)
Frame Height: Short 19" (48.3 cm), Medium 21.5" (54.6 cm), Tall 24" (61 cm)
.3.5 oz/sqyd Mesh
This is the mesh that we use on our backpack's center pockets. It has a relatively light weight for mesh, while being difficult to tear. It can withstand getting caught on branches and other typical abrasion that backpacks are subjected to. The hole size is a about 4 mm (a little over 1/8").
Weight: 3.5 oz/sqyd (119 g/m²)
5.3 oz/sqyd 3D Spacer Mesh
This mesh has a three-dimensional structure which allows airflow and adds cushioning. It has a tricot backing so you can't see clear through the holes. We use it on the underside of our backpack's shoulder straps and belts to absorb sweat, add cushion, and add grip. Our 3D mesh weighs less than most other types.
Weight: 5.3 oz/sqyd (180 g/m²)
Thickness: About 3/32" (2.5 mm)
A person's torso height doesn't necessarily correlate to their total height, a taller person can have a shorter torso and vice versa.
To measure your torso height, you will need the help of friend and a string or cloth tape measure.
To begin, lower your neck towards your chest. This will cause the C7 vertebra to protrude at the base of your neck. The C7 vertebra marks the top of your torso. Next wrap your hands around your love handles and then use your thumbs to feel for the top of your hipbones; also known as the iliac crest. The bottom point of your torso height measurement will be along your spine at the center point between your thumbs.
Using the cloth tape measure, follow the curve of your spine from the C7 vertebra to the center of your spine at the top of your iliac crest. This measurement is your torso height.
The torso height on this pack is adjustable up and down within a range for a perfect fit. If your torso is under 17" (43 cm) consider the Arc Scout which is built for shorter torso heights.
To measure your belt size use a string or cloth tape measure pulled tight around the spot on your body that you want the belt to ride. Usually this will be near the top of your pelvic bone. The tape measure should be over top of your hiking pants and shirt. Do not rely on your pant size.
A medium belt has a minimum circumference of about 30" (76 cm) including the buckle. Each belt has about 15" (38 cm) of webbing for adjustment.
Choose a belt with a minimum adjustment a couple inches smaller than your measurement so that you can still tighten it down if you lose a little weight on trail.
The belt on this pack is removable and interchangeable. It can be swapped out.
Pack performed very well
"Just a quick note to give you some feedback on the Arc Zip. Completed 10 nights on the JMT. Pack performed very well. Tended to hit weather over the passes and the pack, especially the zip compartment, kept the water out with no issues. The Arc worked great keeping the bear can off my back. Roll top yielded great access to rain jacket. Zip compartment handled all the misc gear with ease. Zippered access to the main compartment was the best feature, easy to pack around the bear canister. Great product."
I can’t thank you enough for your help in sizing the pack.
"I was stunned how great the Arc ZIP I purchased was. It turned out to be everything I could have expected and more. Once on the Camino, I switched packs with a friend for a few hours and even though my Arc ZIP had twice the weight in it, it was far more comfortable and easier to carry. I can’t thank you enough for your help in sizing the pack."
I have used a dozen packs over the years and none come close to the comfort
"I took the Arc Zip pack on a week long 60 mile hike on the Pacific Crest trail west of Whitney in the Sierras. I have used a dozen packs over the years and none come close to the comfort, ease of access and stability that this pack provides. I have other ultra light packs and standard packs as well as light daypacks. The Arc Zip has displaced them all."