Arc Zip 57L Backpack
I love this backpack. All the weight is on my hips and it barely touches my shoulders. I can hike for miles without having to remove my pack.
Quickly pack up camp in the morning or easily access your snacks mid-hike with the zippered front loading panel on the ultralight Arc Zip backpack.
Comfortably transfer your pack’s weight to your hips with our patented ‘Arc Frame’ system. The frame also creates a gap between your back and the pack allowing for air flow that helps keeps you cool.
Featuring adjustable shoulder straps, an interchangeable belt, and a variety of optional modular add-ons, the Arc Zip will allow you to tackle those long days on the trail with a durable ultralight backpack designed to fit you.
Used by Deux Pas Vers l’Autre on their two year thru-hike across Europe.
- Constructed from 3.1 oz/sqyd Dyneema® Composite Fabric (Hybrid).
- The pack body is accessed through a large zipper opening on the face of the backpack. The zipper is a #5 waterproof zipper. The top of the pack also has a Roll-Top closure (like our dry bags) which keeps water out, and lets you roll down the top as your gear load shrinks. All seams and attachment points are taped, making the pack highly water resistant. We still suggest using dry bags for your important items like your sleeping bag.
- Two internal horizontal compression straps take stress off of the zipper entry.
- Comfy 3/8" thick by 2.75" wide padded contoured shoulder straps and padded belt. Both the straps and the belt have a daisy chain for clipping on items, and an adjustable position sternum strap is also included. The belt and shoulder straps have 3D mesh on the underside. This gives them a little bit more cushion, and the belt also has more texture for better grip.
- Side pockets are sized to fit 1 or 1.5 liter bottles. They are positioned low on the pack and slanted forward for easy access without removing the pack. The pockets have drainage holes at the bottom, and elastic that keeps them tight at the top.
- The large center pocket is made with solid material and has a waterproof zipper opening. It can swallow two ultralight tents, or other similarly sized gear with room to spare.
- Side compression straps are made from non-stretchy cord for squishing down the pack volume. They also allow you to stand tall items like trekking poles in the side pockets.
- A top strap, and base straps allow you to lash on extra items to the top or base of the pack. The straps come off if you don't need them.
- A centrally located Hydration Port is included to string out a drinking tube over either the left or right shoulder. It is just above/between the shoulder straps and it has a triangular cover to keep out water. A water bladder can either be hung from an internal hang loop or laid horizontally on top of your gear.
- The pack size has enough space for 5-6 days of food and ultralight gear. The pack can be compressed down with the roll top and side compression straps for short trips or use the top strap and base straps to lash extra stuff to the outside for long carries.
- All standard Bear Canisters, including the Bearikade Expedition and the BearVault 500 will fit in the upper half of this pack standing on end. There is enough extra girth to either wrap a foam pad around the canister (if you use one), or stand a medium stuff sack vertically beside the bear canister.<
- The short and medium size frames will fit into an airplane overhead bin with the top rolled down to the frame. The tall size frame may not fit unless you pop the vertical frame bars out of the pack.
- Our Flexed Arc Frame is covered by US Patent No. 9,060,590
- Our torso height adjustment mechanism is covered by US Patent No. 9,848,687
- All Zpacks gear has a two year limited warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Please see our return / warranty policy.
- Made in the USA.
- Our ultralight Flexed Arc frame keeps the pack stiff so that most weight is carried on the hips instead of the shoulders. The frame pieces and mesh back panel can be easily removed or replaced.
- The frame is curved to allow air flow and keep your back cushioned from the pack's contents. You can adjust the curve by tensioning the mesh back panel. The recommended arch is about 2.5" (6 cm).
- The belt is attached directly to the bottom of the pack frame for the best load transfer.
- The belt is removable and interchangeable. If you lose weight or need to share the pack between people, the belt can be swapped out. Watch the belt removal video for more information.
- The shoulder straps and load lifter straps are attached directly to the frame. Load lifters straps come standard on this pack.
- The shoulder straps can move up or down to adjust the torso height to a perfect fit using our patented torso adjustment mechanism. It works like a conveyor belt. This is great for sharing the pack between people, for growing teenagers, or for resale.
- The belt provides a full wrap around your back. No need for additional lumbar support.
- The belt is done with "V-Style" webbing so that the top and bottom circumference can be adjusted independently. This helps wrap your hips much more securely and prevents the belt from sliding down.
- Collectively these features provide the additional load transfer necessary for loads up to around 35 lbs (16 kg).
Body dimensions: 7" x 12.5" x 30" (18 cm x 31.8 cm x 76 cm)
Volume: 57L (42L main body, 2.5L each side pocket, 10L center pocket)
Frame Height: Short 19" (48.3 cm), Medium 21.5" (54.6 cm), Tall 24" (61 cm)
Made with Bio-Based Dyneema® Fiber
Reduce your carbon footprint with DSM’s bio-based Dyneema® fiber technology. Sourced from renewable, bio-based feedstock, it is the first ever bio-based ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (HMPE) fiber. Commit to sustainability and help reduce our reliance on fossil fuel resources and rely on the trusted performance of the world’s strongest fiber™. Click here to learn more about our sustainability initiatives.
Made in the USA.
.3.5 oz/sqyd Mesh
This is the mesh that we use on our backpack's center pockets. It has a relatively light weight for mesh, while being difficult to tear. It can withstand getting caught on branches and other typical abrasion that backpacks are subjected to. The hole size is a about 4 mm (a little over 1/8").
Weight: 3.5 oz/sqyd (119 g/m²)
5.3 oz/sqyd 3D Spacer Mesh
This mesh has a three-dimensional structure which allows airflow and adds cushioning. It has a tricot backing so you can't see clear through the holes. We use it on the underside of our backpack's shoulder straps and belts to absorb sweat, add cushion, and add grip. Our 3D mesh weighs less than most other types.
Weight: 5.3 oz/sqyd (180 g/m²)
Thickness: About 3/32" (2.5 mm)
To measure your torso height, you will need the help of a friend and a string or cloth tape measure.
Most hikers wear their belt near the top of their hips, however, it isn’t uncommon for hikers to position their belt higher or lower.
To ensure you lock in the perfect fit, we suggest putting a belt on over your clothes in the spot where you’d like to belt to ride. Start your measurement at the center of the belt where it meets your spine.
Lower your chin towards your chest. This will cause the C7 vertebrae to protrude at the base of your neck. The C7 vertebrae will mark the top of your torso height measurement.
Using the string or cloth tape measure, follow the curve of your spine up from the center of your belt to your C7 vertebrae. This measurement is your torso height.
The padded portion of the belt is 1" shorter than the listed minimum adjustment. For example a "Medium (30-36 inches)" belt has padding which measures about 29" tip to tip, and has a minimum adjustment circumference of 30". It is the recommended size if your actual measurement is up to 36" however the webbing extends further.
To measure your belt size, pull a string or cloth tape measure tight around the spot you’d like your belt to ride. Choose a belt with a minimum adjustment of a couple inches smaller than your actual waist measurement. This will leave room for you to tighten down the belt if you lose a little weight on trail.
The belts on our Arc Series packs are also removable and interchangeable. This will give you the ability to switch the belt out if your waist size changes or if you order the incorrect size by mistake.
Click here for full instructions on how to wash our Dyneema® Composite Fabric backpacks.
Click here for instructions on how to properly clean and care for your zipper.
Light, comfortable, but I wish it were waterproof
Most importantly, it's a delight to have a 24oz pack, especially since I didn't have to give up anything to get this light weight. It's just as comfortable as my previous pack. The "arc" feature works very well and the waist belt is quite comfortable now that I got a larger belt so that more of it is padded and less just the straps across my belly. The design with separate tension adjustments for the top and bottom of the belt keeps it snugly gripping my hips. The main thing I wish were better is the waterproofing. It is 99% waterproof. Not much water comes in, but enough that I have to put my stuff in waterproof bags. My previous pack wasn't waterproof at all, so I used a cover. It seems silly to use a cover with this almost waterproof pack, but then I have to protect my gear inside. I wonder if there would be some way to put a flap over the zippers to get the last 1%. The other small thing that I think could use improvement is the closure of the side compartments. The is done with elastic, but that doesn't seem that reliable to me. I don't really have anything that I'm willing to lose on the trail, so I'm not sure what to put there. Maybe drawstrings would be more reliable. These are just quibbles, though. All in all, it's a great pack!
Thanks for your honest feedback. We appreciate it!
Geiler Rucksack hält, was er verspricht
hält was er verspricht
The Arc Zip 57L Backpack is very comfortable
The is the first backpack I have had that does not give me sore shoulders after a days hiking. I bought a Pair of Shoulder Strap Pads with the backpack and I am very glad I did, they added to the comfort of the backpack. I recently used it on a section hike of Tour Du Mont Blanc (TMB) in France with a Zpacks Free Duo Tent attached to the outside of the backpack. The tent could easily by attached securely to the backpack. The backpack was very comfortable to carry.
My favorite backpack
This pack is so light and so comfortable. I'm can't properly articulate how much better it is than my last pack. My only caveat there is that I think you have to be a little more careful to distribute the weight evenly within the pack and be sure to cinch the belt evenly on both sides. Not a big deal, just something to be minful of. It seems like common sense, but it wasn't something I had to think about with my last pack - but that pack was heavier and got heavier with time because it soaked up water. I'm so happy to have moved on to this pack. Thank you!
Love this pack with all of my heart
Love this item, I wish I had a Eason to buy 5 more