Arc Haul 62L Backpack
Love this pack! So light I can justify carrying a couple little luxuries that help make Camp more comfortable, and love that I’ve been able to customize it with the many accessories available.
**This backpack has been replaced by our newer Arc Haul Ultra. It has a similar design but is constructed with a more durable Ultra material and features a back panel with Lycra for a more comfortable fit.
Long days between resupplies require a pack designed with ample space and durability. The ultralight Arc Haul backpack is innovatively designed to be a true workhorse from the Sierras to the Shenandoah.
Comfortably transfer your pack’s weight to your hips with our patented ‘Arc Frame’ system. The frame also creates a gap between your back and the pack allowing for air flow that helps keeps you cool.
Featuring adjustable shoulder straps, an interchangeable belt, and a variety of optional modular add-ons, the award-winning Arc Haul will allow you to tackle those long days on the trail with a durable ultralight backpack designed to fit you.
- Constructed from 4.85 oz/sqyd Gridstop Fabric.
- Roll-top closure (like our dry bags) keeps water out, and lets you roll down the top as your gear load shrinks. All seams and attachment points are taped, making the pack highly water resistant. We still suggest using dry bags for your important items like your sleeping bag.
- Comfy 3/8" thick by 2.75" wide padded contoured shoulder straps and padded belt. Both the straps and the belt have a daisy chain for clipping on items, and an adjustable position sternum strap is also included. The belt and shoulder straps have 3D mesh on the underside. This gives them a little bit more cushion, and the belt also has more texture for better grip.
- Side pockets are sized to fit 1 or 1.5 liter bottles. They are positioned low on the pack and slanted forward for easy access without removing the pack. The pockets have drainage holes at the bottom, and elastic that keeps them tight at the top.
- Large stretchy mesh center pocket is great for quick access items. Mesh also lets you dry wet clothing and gives you a clear view of your gear.
- Side compression straps are made from non-stretchy Dyneema® cord for squishing down the pack volume. They also allow you to stand tall items like trekking poles in the side pockets.
- A top strap, and base straps allow you to lash on extra items to the top or base of the pack. The straps come off if you don't need them.
- A centrally located Hydration Port is included to string out a drinking tube over either the left or right shoulder. It is just above/between the shoulder straps and it has a triangular cover to keep out water. A water bladder can either be hung from an internal hang loop or laid horizontally on top of your gear.
- The 62L pack size has enough space for 5-6 days of food and ultralight gear. The pack can be compressed down with the roll top and side compression straps for short trips or use the top strap and base straps to lash extra stuff to the outside for long carries.
- All standard Bear Canisters, including the Bearikade Expedition and the BearVault 500 will fit in the upper half of this pack standing on end. There is enough extra girth to either wrap a foam pad around the canister (if you use one) or stand a medium stuff sack vertically beside the bear canister.
- The short and medium size frames will fit into an airplane overhead bin with the top rolled down to the frame. The tall size frame may not fit unless you pop the vertical frame bars out of the pack.
- Our Flexed Arc Frame is is covered by US Patent No. 9,060,590
- Our torso height adjustment mechanism is is covered by US Patent No. 9,848,687
- All Zpacks gear has a two year limited warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Please see our return / warranty policy.
- Made in the USA.
- Our ultralight Flexed Arc frame keeps the pack stiff so that most weight is carried on the hips instead of the shoulders. The frame pieces and mesh back panel can be easily removed or replaced.
- The frame is curved to allow air flow and keep your back cushioned from the pack's contents. You can adjust the curve by tensioning the mesh back panel. The recommended arch is about 2.5" (6 cm).
- The belt is attached directly to the bottom of the pack frame for the best load transfer.
- The belt is removable and interchangeable. If you lose weight or need to share the pack between people the belt can be swapped out. Watch the belt removal video here.
- The shoulder straps and load lifter straps are attached directly to the frame. Load lifters straps come standard on this pack.
- The shoulder straps can move up or down to adjust the torso height to a perfect fit using our patented torso adjustment mechanism. It works like a conveyor belt. This is great for sharing the pack between people, for growing teenagers, or for resale.
- The belt provides a full wrap around your back. No need for additional lumbar support.
- The belt is done with "V-Style" webbing so that the top and bottom circumference can be adjusted independently. This helps wrap your hips much more securely, and prevents the belt from sliding down.
- Collectively, these features provide the additional load transfer necessary for loads up to around 40 lbs (18 kg).
Body dimensions: 8" x 12.5" x 30" (20 cm x 31.8 cm x 76 cm)
Volume: 62L (49L main body, 2.5L each side pocket, 8L center pocket)
Frame Height: Short 19" (48.3 cm), Medium 21.5" (54.6 cm), Tall 24" (61 cm)
.3.5 oz/sqyd Mesh
This is the mesh that we use on our backpack's center pockets. It has a relatively light weight for mesh, while being difficult to tear. It can withstand getting caught on branches and other typical abrasion that backpacks are subjected to. The hole size is a about 4 mm (a little over 1/8").
Weight: 3.5 oz/sqyd (119 g/m²)
5.3 oz/sqyd 3D Spacer Mesh
This mesh has a three-dimensional structure which allows airflow and adds cushioning. It has a tricot backing so you can't see clear through the holes. We use it on the underside of our backpack's shoulder straps and belts to absorb sweat, add cushion, and add grip. Our 3D mesh weighs less than most other types.
Weight: 5.3 oz/sqyd (180 g/m²)
Thickness: About 3/32" (2.5 mm)
To measure your torso height, you will need the help of a friend and a string or cloth tape measure.
Most hikers wear their belt near the top of their hips, however, it isn’t uncommon for hikers to position their belt higher or lower.
To ensure you lock in the perfect fit, we suggest putting a belt on over your clothes in the spot where you’d like to belt to ride. Start your measurement at the center of the belt where it meets your spine.
Lower your chin towards your chest. This will cause the C7 vertebrae to protrude at the base of your neck. The C7 vertebrae will mark the top of your torso height measurement.
Using the string or cloth tape measure, follow the curve of your spine up from the center of your belt to your C7 vertebrae. This measurement is your torso height.
The padded portion of the belt is 1" shorter than the listed minimum adjustment. For example a "Medium (30-36 inches)" belt has padding which measures about 29" tip to tip, and has a minimum adjustment circumference of 30". It is the recommended size if your actual measurement is up to 36" however the webbing extends further.
To measure your belt size, pull a string or cloth tape measure tight around the spot you’d like your belt to ride. Choose a belt with a minimum adjustment of a couple inches smaller than your actual waist measurement. This will leave room for you to tighten down the belt if you lose a little weight on trail.
The belts on our Arc Series packs are also removable and interchangeable. This will give you the ability to switch the belt out if your waist size changes or if you order the incorrect size by mistake.
- Arc Haul
I had ordered a green because I LOVED that shade of green, but it came in blue. Sadly it arrived too close to my trip to be able to trade it out. I was disappointed, but since I am a grownup and not a child, it was ok. My last bit of regret was when I saw someone on the AT with a green one. But since it matches my blue tent and blue poles, I guess I will live with it and consider it a "Hiking Barbie" accessory pack of sorts. ;) I was a little envious of my friend who had lots of compartments and seemed to pack, find things on the fly and unpack faster, but the space is good and after a couple days I had figured out how best to pack things for better accessibility. I had a pretty full pack, and was not often able to make it arc like I wanted (although I kept trying...) but that is probably on me. This was a 6 day hike, and my first hike longer than 3 days. I wasn't quite sure what I would really need or not. I stayed on the side of having it and not needing it for this first longer venture. I ordered the two pockets that attach to the waist belt, and I like the size, but after 2 days it kept falling out of the back attachment. I was always wearing it when that happened , so I either had to impose on someone to help me or take the pack off to fix it. It's only an open (and fairly open at that) clip that drops into a loop. I would rather know that it went on a bit (or quite a bit) harder, but that it was secure. I was glad it was not the side I put my headlamp, phone and Sawyer Squeeze water filter as that one would have been worse! Well, so for all the great ideas they had in this design, I am disappointed that this clip is the way it is as it really created a nuisance for me while I was hiking. Otherwise I like the pack. The two straps at the waist take a little longer, but I think it's likely more comfortable with two adjustments. It really light weight, and that helped as it was a 6 day hike with no accessible food to restock yet my overall pack was lighter than if I had another brand backpack.
Light Pack for trips with GF
Bought this larger pack for backpacking with a significant other. Since the trips aren't as far and tend to include more and larger equipment this pack works as an alternative to my normal UL setup. Still light but spacious enough for three person tent (me, them, and dog), two person pad and two person quilt. Am very pleased with this backpack.
Love my Arc Haul
I like it. It carries 35 lbs. really nice. I have been spoiled by my Arc Blast that I have had for about 5 years. It has served me well.
Good! I like it
Good. I like it
Sac ultra-léger et ultra-confortable
J'avais un doute sur le confort que pouvait apporter un sac ultra-léger mais mon Arc Haul est très confortable. Aussi confortable que mon ancien sac bien plus lourd que j'avais avant. La qualité est irréprochable. Déjà testé sur quelques sorties, j'ai hâte de l'essayer sur une longue distance. Je suis très satisfait. Merci Zpacks.