Carbon Fiber Staff
I’ve used this staff on a couple of occasions now and love the rigidity and lightweight nature of it. And being able to break it down for travel is big plus.
Our Carbon Fiber Staff allows you to support your full weight using two hands on rough terrain, while keeping one hand free on more moderate sections. This staff is an ultralight, extremely strong alternative to Zpacks Trekking Poles. It can fold down for compact packing, or can be folded to the correct height to prop up any of our tents.
- Strong enough to easily support an adult's weight vertically. The staff can be used to hop across small streams or gaps, or to aid in lifting or lowering your body weight on steep inclines and descents.
- The staff is much stronger than a typical trekking pole. The staff can withstand moderate horizontal pressure, but avoid putting your full body weight on it horizontally.
- Use two hands for support on tough trail sections. Keep one hand free on moderate or flat terrain for snapping photos, swatting bugs, or having a snack on the go.
- Thick carbon fiber inserts give the staff strong joints. The titanium tip and the joints are bonded AND screwed in place so there is no chance of failure.
- The carbon has a woven texture which naturally gives it good grip. You can quickly shift your hands up or down to any position as the terrain changes.
- Some customers add grip tape such as found on baseball bats and sporting equipment to absorb sweat.
- The titanium tip keeps the weight to a minimum and will never need replacement. The tip has 1/4" (.64 cm) of solid titanium that can withstand many thousands of miles of use.
- The full 59.5" (151 cm) length is useful for getting leverage with two hands, but you also have the option to remove a top section and use it as a really sturdy 48" (122 cm) or 52" (132 cm) one-handed pole if you prefer. You can also fold it to those sizes (and shorter lengths) for pitching your ultralight tent. The staff folds to the correct lengths to pitch all of our shelters.
- The staff folds down to three even 21.5" (54.5 cm) sections and packs conveniently standing in a backpack side pocket.
- The staff can pass through airport security folded inside your carry-on backpack. Regular trekking poles cannot be carried on due to the sharp tips.
- Tested on a 1,900 mile Te Araroa thru-hike in New Zealand. This short video is intended only to show the strength of the staff. Jumping across large gaps with it is dangerous and not recommended. Use at your own risk.
- All Zpacks gear has a two year limited warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Please see our return / warranty policy.
- Made in the USA.
- The staff sections are held together by non-stretchy Dyneema Cord. The cord has a small knot which catches in a groove under the rubber end cap to lock the staff in place. To lock or unlock the staff, remove the rubber end cap and pop the knot in or out of the groove. It needs to be pulled tight!
If you ever notice that the sections are not held tight together, just re-tie the knot so that it is snug.
Diameter: .825" (2.1 cm)
Full Length: 59.5" (151 cm)
Packed Length: 21.5" (54.5 cm)
Section Lengths (not including ferrules): 7.5", 11.5", 19", 21.5"
(19 cm, 29 cm, 48 cm, 54.5 cm)
Possible folded lengths for shelters: 21.5, 33", 40.5", 48", 52", 59.5"
(54.5 cm, 103 cm, 122 cm, 132 cm, 151 cm)