Carbon Fiber Staff
Our Carbon Fiber Staff allows you to support your full weight using two hands on rough terrain, while keeping one hand free on more moderate sections. This staff is an ultralight, extremely strong alternative to Zpacks Trekking Poles. It can fold down for compact packing, or can be folded to the correct height to prop up any of our tents.
- Strong enough to easily support an adult's weight vertically. The staff can be used to hop across small streams or gaps, or to aid in lifting or lowering your body weight on steep inclines and descents.
- The staff is much stronger than a typical trekking pole. The staff can withstand moderate horizontal pressure, but avoid putting your full body weight on it horizontally.
- Use two hands for support on tough trail sections. Keep one hand free on moderate or flat terrain for snapping photos, swatting bugs, or having a snack on the go
- Thick internal carbon fiber ferrules give the staff strong joints. The lower joints are also wrapped with Dyneema Composite Fabric tape for added strength.
- The full 60" (152 cm) length is useful for getting leverage with both hands, and also for reaching out to lower yourself down ledges. You also have the option to remove a top section and use it like a really sturdy 48" or 52" trekking pole if you prefer.
- The carbon has a woven texture which naturally gives it good grip. You can quickly shift your hands up or down to any position as the terrain changes.
- The solid titanium tip keeps the weight to a minimum and will never wear through.
- The full 60" (152 cm) length is useful for getting leverage with two hands, but you also have the option to remove a top section and use it as really sturdy 48" (122 cm) or 52" (132 cm) one-handed pole if you prefer. You can also fold it to those sizes (and shorter lengths) for pitching your ultralight tent.
- The staff folds down to three even 21.5" (54.5 cm) sections and packs conveniently standing in a backpack side pocket.
- The staff can pass through airport security folded inside your carry-on backpack. Regular trekking poles cannot be carried on due to the sharp tips.
- Tested on a 1,900 mile Te Araroa thru-hike in New Zealand. This short video is intended only to show the strength of the staff. Jumping across large gaps with it is dangerous and not recommended. Use at your own risk.
- All Zpacks gear has a two year limited warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Please see our return / warranty policy.
- Made in the USA.
- The staff sections are held together by non-stretchy Dyneema Cord. The cord has a small knot which catches in a groove under the rubber end cap to lock the staff in place. To lock or unlock the staff, remove the rubber end cap and pop the knot in or out of the groove. It needs to be pulled tight!
If you ever notice that the sections are not held tight together, just re-tie the knot so that it is snug.
Diameter: .825" (2.1 cm)
Full Length: 60" (152 cm)
Packed Length: 21.5" (54.5 cm)
Section Lengths (not including ferrules): 7.5", 11.5", 19", 21.5"
(19 cm, 29 cm, 48 cm, 54.5 cm)
Some Possible Folded Lengths: 21.5, 33", 40.5", 48", 52", 60"
(54.5 cm, 103 cm, 122 cm, 132 cm, 152 cm)
- hand grip
- balance stabilizer
- drying pole
Great multifunctional staff and super lightweight. This was a replacement for the first staff where the tip fell off. This one did not break and was used heavily on the AT. I used it as a staff, balance stabilizer across muddy streams, and drying pole for wet clothes among other uses. My one suggestion is to have a hand grip on it as it is slippery when wet
This thing is awesome
"This thing is awesome. It has worked especially well for me on steep descents, where I’ve been able to put my full weight on it. It instills confidence when using it as a support for a tall shelter, and I don’t have to worry about using a trekking pole extender. Over a few hundred miles of use, this has quickly become one of my favorite pieces of gear. Thanks Zpacks, I can’t recommend this product highly enough!"
Loving the carbon hiking staff
"Loving the carbon hiking staff. One of the best purchases I’ve made in a long, long time. I’ve put this thing through the paces, handles my 230 lbs and ruck with no issues so far.”
absolutely love it!
"I got the hiking Staff a couple months ago and absolutely love it! Now I'm ready for a backpack!"
Your carbon fiber staff is awesome
"Your carbon fiber staff is awesome. I never liked using hiking poles before. But the fact that your staff is longer, much more stable and can be held at varying levels made it great! It is super for hopping over small rivers. And most of all and very unexpectedly so: It made my life so much easier on difficult terrain with very big boulders in the rain where I basically had to jump from boulder-top to boulder-top for around 30km. It made superb additional balance. The possibility of really putting weight on it made it feel like a third and very welcome leg."