Duplex Freestanding Flex Kit
Transform your Duplex into a freestanding ultralight tent for when stakes aren’t an option. Our Flex Kit is perfect for platform camping on the Overland Track, the White Mountains or for packed down campsites along the John Muir Trail.
The Flex Kit is like owning two ultralight tents in one. Simply install the hardware and attach the lightweight Flex poles to your Duplex and you're good to go.
The Flex tent upgrade is an add-on to our normal Duplex Tent that allows it to be pitched with freestanding tent poles. It can be set up with zero stakes in calm conditions, or with just 2 stakes if you want to use the vestibules. It is not necessary to stake the corners or side walls except in extreme weather.
Freestanding tents are convenient in situations where stakes are difficult to use. They make it easier to pitch on beach sand, snow, or on rocky or compacted terrain. You can set up on a tent platform, or other suboptimal locations without struggling with stakes. Flex poles are also handy on trips when you don't have trekking poles, for example bikepacking, canoe trips, or car camping.
The poles also lift the side walls of the tent outward for more interior space, which is especially valuable for tall hikers.
You still have the option to leave the flex poles behind and pitch with your trekking poles to save weight on regular backpacking trips.
The poles will flex and bow horizontally when the wind gusts. In very windy conditions, you should use sticks or trekking poles to prop the peaks of the tent to create a very rigid shelter.
Four 90" (229 cm) Easton Carbon 3.9 poles are included. Easton's carbon fiber poles are made using proven technology, and they are super lightweight.
The Dyneema® Composite Fabric material stuff sack and hardware for connecting them to the tent are included in the price and weight.
The folded length of the poles is 19.25" (49 cm). A tent pole sack is included. The best way to pack them is to stand them in your pack's side pocket or tuck them inside your pack vertically.
Any Duplex tent made in 2016 and later include attachment points for the Flex upgrade and poles can be added at a later date.
All Zpacks gear has a two-year limited warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Please see our return / warranty policy.
Made in the USA.
Duplex Flex Instructions
Click here for a printable version.
If you have purchased the optional Flex tent pole kit you should have 4x 90" (229 cm) tent poles, 4x metal rings, 2x toggles, and a tent pole sack.
- Untie each of the four corner stake loops, and re-tie the loops the same way but with a ring attached.
- Loop each of the two toggles on to the two wall tie outs on the tent.
- Insert a tent pole diagonally such that one end is through a metal ring at the peak, and the other end is through the metal ring at the opposite corner guy line.
- Cinch the corner guy line to give the pole some flex and keeping it snugly in place.
- Insert the other three tent poles in the same fashion.
- Attach the toggle around the center of the X formed by the tent poles. The poles should have a moderate amount of flex so that the wall is pulled outward.
- In calm weather no stakes are necessary. If you wish to use the vestibules stake out the front and back door stakes. In moderate weather stake the two wall guy lines to keep the tent anchored. In extreme weather all eight stakes can be used including the corners.
- In very windy conditions you can get a more solid pitch by using sticks or trekking poles to brace the peaks of the tent.
Just did an 8-day thru-hike on the OHT and weather was pretty mixed. Setting the duplex up in the rain is extremely simple using the free standing kit. Typically got it set in a couple of minutes with no water intrusion. Great kit, great tent.
Now I own 3 tents in one. A trekking pole tent for hiking, a pole tent for bikepacking and a freestanding tent for the trails that provide wooden platforms. Great quality and very easy to set up.
I have owned the duplex tent for probably 5 years.I have backpacked the Entire AT and Long Trail. The tent has served me well. Light weight durable and perfect for 2 people. Both of my hiking partners have purchased the duplex. So I was thinking one night while sleeping in my tent what happens If one of us loses a pole of breaks a pole? So I ordered the freestanding poles. They are light weight and so easy to use .Like I said my tent is well used the poles make it easy to set up and stand perfect. Don’t be surprised when you get 2 more pole orders ...Thanks foe a great product line
I love the tent and this freestanding kit makes it even better. Works really well.
I love it. Now I can pitch my tent anywhere.