Hexamid Pocket Tarp w/ Doors
For all you gram weenies cutting tags and planning FKT’s, shave those last few grams off your base weight with the Hexamid Pocket Tarp ; our lightest shaped tarp ever!
This ultralight tarp can be your primary shelter on an ultra-minimalist adventure or can be tucked away in a pocket for a surprise afternoon thunderstorm.
Super simple by design, the Hexamid Pocket Tarp provides shelter at a weight that will keep your pack under that elusive sub-7 lb base weight.
For an even more minimalist tarp, keep out the standard Hexamid Pocket Tarp
Sets up with just one trekking pole or walking stick adjusted to around 48 inches (122 cm), and a minimum of six stakes. Eight stakes are recommended. A Tent pole is available here if you don't use trekking poles.
Packs up tiny. The tarp is a loose fit in an included 2.5" x 4" x 5.5" tall (6.5 cm x 10 cm x 14 cm) mini stuff sack.
Ultralight Lineloc V adjusters are sewn to all the tie outs. 2.0 mm bright yellow Z-line cord is cut and attached for you. Linelocs, cord, and the stuff sack are included in the weight.
Either of the storm doors can be opened or closed independently. Leave both open on nice weather nights for a breeze and great views. Close the upwind door to block cold wind, or close both for 360° rain protection. The overlapping doors are closed with a custom made metal hook, with a toggle at the center to keep them pinned.
Ample space for one person plus gear. The tarp is long enough for most people to fully stretch out their arms and legs, and tall enough to sit upright. You may need to shift your position to avoid rain spray depending on the wind direction.
The inside of each corner has a loop for clipping on your groundsheet. The peak also has a loop on the inside for hanging a flashlight or stuff sack.
A Bathtub Ground Sheet is sold separately. Alternatively you can use a Poncho, or inexpensive material like Tyvek or Polycryo for your groundsheet.
Any condensation, which single wall shelters may experience, will run down the walls and out at the edges of the tarp, rather than onto the floor. Click here for tips to avoid condensation.
All Zpacks gear has a two year limited warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Please see our return / warranty policy.
Made in the USA.
The Hexamid Pocket Tarp w/ Doors weighs a total of 6.1 ounces (172 grams) including guy lines, sewn in linelocs, taped seams, and a stuff sack. A piece of repair tape is included with the tent.
*8x Stakes are required but are not included. We have a variety of Ultralight Stakes to choose from.
Peak height: 47" (119 cm)
Length: 107" (271.75 cm)
Width at center: 54 inches (137 cm)
Width at ends: 30 inches (76 cm)
Entryway Height: 29 inches (74 cm)
- Lineloc V adjusters are sewn to all tie outs. Bright yellow Dyneema® Z-Line cord is cut and attached for you. The yellow lines are very easy to see night or day, and Dyneema® has very low stretch.
- Our tarps are made from Dyneema® Composite Fabric. Dyneema® Composite Fabric has several advantages over other materials:
High strength to weight ratio – the material can handle high wind force and does not tear easily.
Chemical free, PFC free
Waterproof – there is no DWR or coating to worry about wearing out. The material will not absorb significant water that will add water weight to your pack
Stretch-free – the tarp will stay taut all night. Nylon material by comparison can stretch and sag, especially if it gets wet.
Taped seams – our seams are sewn, then taped water tight. The tie outs have bonded reinforcements for high strength. No seam sealing will be necessary!
Easily repairable – Any damage can easily be fixed in the field with our Dyneema® Composite Fabric Repair Tape.
Made with Bio-Based Dyneema® Fiber
Reduce your carbon footprint with DSM’s bio-based Dyneema® fiber technology. Sourced from renewable, bio-based feedstock, it is the first ever bio-based ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (HMPE) fiber. Commit to sustainability and help reduce our reliance on fossil fuel resources and rely on the trusted performance of the world’s strongest fiber™. Click here to learn more about our sustainability initiatives.
Made in the USA.
Hexamid Pocket Tarp Instructions
Click here for a printable version.
All Hexamid Pocket Tarps come with the guy lines are cut and attached for you.
Front Center (1x) - 54” (137 cm)
*Note that if your pocket tarp is the version with doors, the front center line is 75" (190 cm) with a stake loop tied at 30" (76 cm). The short end of the cord is attached to door hooks.
Front and Back Corners (4x) - 32 inches (81 cm)
Back Center (1x) - 32 inches (81 cm)
Back Walls (2x) - 54 inches (137 cm)
- Adjust your trekking pole to around 48 inches (122 cm). If you expect your pole tips to sink into the ground, add a couple inches to compensate.
- Stake out one of the front corners. There is a label on one front corner to make it easy to find.
- Pull the other front corner guy line tight, then give it about 14 inches (36 cm) or so of slack and stake it out. The distance that you come back with the stake determines the peak height of the shelter.
- Insert your trekking pole with the handle at the peak of the tarp. If you angle the pole just a little bit it will stay standing up easier during setup.
- Stake out the front main guy line. The front corners of the tarp should be about 6-8 inches (15+ cm) or so off the ground.
- Stake out the back center guy line.
- Stake out the back corners, and back wall guy lines. The tarp should be about 6-8 inches (15+ cm) off the ground all the way around.
If you have trouble getting a good pitch try playing around with the following:
- The distance apart of the two front corner stakes when you first lay out the tarp.
- The length and angle of the trekking pole.
All Zpacks shelters have taped seams and bonded tie outs! No seam sealing necessary.
Click here for full instructions on how to wash our Dyneema® Composite Fabric tents and tarps.