Whether you’re camping in the Grand Canyon or going on a weekend family hike, the ultralight Triplex 3 person tent won’t be the thing that slows you down.
With a designed inspired by ultralight backpacking and thru-hiking, the lightweight Triplex has a comfortable amount of space for three average-sized hikers or two larger adults with a dog or child.
Storm doors on both sides of the tent provide protection from inclement weather or great cross-ventilation and breathtaking views when left open.
Knowing the Triplex is lighter than most one person tents makes being your family pack mule much easier.
An optional flat groundsheet is available for added protection here.
- Sets up with two trekking poles adjusted to around 48" (122 cm). Slightly taller or shorter fixed length poles will also work.
Tent poles are also available if you don't use trekking poles.
- A minimum of eight stakes are required for this tent, but up to twelve stakes can be used in windy conditions.
- Any of the four storm doors can be opened or closed independently. Leave all four open on nice nights for a breeze and great views. Close the upwind doors to block cold wind, or close all four for 360° rain protection. The overlapping doors are closed with custom made metal hooks, with a toggle at the center to keep them pinned.
- The tarp overhangs the bathtub floor by 4-5 inches (12 cm). In calm rain or under wet trees, one or two doors can be left open for air flow without water dripping on the floor space. In almost all conditions, at least one downwind door can be left open for air.
Tip: For even better rain protection with a door open, use the included elastic cords to pull the screen door back away from the rain spray, as shown.
- Rainbow zippers on both sides of the tent allow easy entry regardless of which doors are closed, and they give you access to every vestibule area.
- This tent has a solid, sewn in 8 inch (20 cm) tall bathtub floor. The bathtub floor is a rectangle 60 inches wide by 7.5 feet long (1.52 m x 2.3 m). It will fit three standard 20" sleeping pads, or two wide pads with space to spare.
- If you are particularly tall, you might try propping up the side guylines using Trekking Pole Cups for even more headroom.
- Mesh pockets are conveniently located near each screen door so that they can be accessed from inside or outside the tent. They are a good place to store your cell phone, glasses, headlamp, the tent stuff sack, and spare seam tape (included). The pockets are about 8" x 8" (20 cm x 20 cm).
- A separate groundsheet is NOT required for this shelter. The floor material is reasonably durable, and all Dyneema® Composite Fabric gear can be easily patched in the field with repair tape. If you do prefer to use a groundsheet as a precaution, Flat Groundsheets are available.
- There is screen between the bathtub floor and the walls at the ends of the tarp. An elastic cord keeps the bathtub elevated ensuring the screen slopes downwards away from the bathtub. Any condensation, which single wall shelters may experience, will run down the walls and out through the downward sloping screen, rather than onto the floor. Click here for tips to avoid condensation.
- All of our tents do pretty well in the wind. The material can handle high wind loads. As long as your stakes stay in the ground (use rocks if available) your tent will stay standing. Dyneema® Composite Fabric is not particularly noisy, however almost any tent will make a little noise in the wind. Earplugs are not a bad idea for windy nights.
- All Zpacks gear has a two year limited warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Please see our return / warranty policy.
- Made in the USA.
The Triplex weight (shown above) includes guy lines, sewn in linelocs, taped seams, and a stuff sack. A piece of repair tape is included with the tent. Multiple material choices are available and will affect the total weight.
8 to 12 Stakes are required but are not included. We have a variety of Ultralight Stakes to choose from.
Peak height: 48" (122 cm)
Ridgeline width: 68" (173 cm)
Width including vestibules: 101.5" (257 cm)
Vestibule space: 20.75" (53 cm) depth on each side
Length: 100" (254 cm)
Peak height: 48" (122 cm)
Floor width: 60" (153 cm)
Floor length: 7.5 feet (2.3 meters)
Zipper entry height: 36" (91 cm)
8" diameter by 13" tall (20.3 cm x 33 cm) / 650 cubic inches (10.7L)
- Our tents are made from Dyneema® Composite Fabric. Dyneema® Composite Fabric has several advantages over other materials:
High strength to weight ratio – the material can handle high wind force and does not tear easily.
Chemical free, PFC free
Waterproof – there is no DWR or coating to worry about wearing out. The material will not absorb significant water that will add water weight to your pack
Stretch-free – the tent will stay taut all night. Nylon material by comparison can stretch and sag, especially if it gets wet.
Taped seams – our seams are sewn for strength then taped water tight. The tie outs have bonded reinforcements for high strength. No seam sealing will be necessary!
Easily repairable – Any damage can easily be fixed in the field with our Dyneema® Composite Fabric Repair Tape.
- This tent is semi-transparent. In bright sunlight, a fuzzy silhouette of a person sitting inside the tent would be visible, but you cannot see any details. It has a suitable amount of privacy for changing clothes.
In lower light (such as in the evening or at night), you cannot see through at all. We also have thicker, darker material available as an upgrade that you can choose. Another nice thing about this material is that you can see the outlines of trees and your surroundings for a more immersed outdoor experience.
- This tent has fully enclosed .66 oz/sqyd (22.7 g/m²) insect screen. The holes in this screen are super tiny, so even the smallest insects cannot get through. Our tent screen is about 30% lighter than comparable Noseeum screen with no noticeable decrease in durability.
- The bathtub floor is made from 1.0 oz/sqyd Dyneema® Composite Fabric. This material weight is more than twice as thick as the canopy material and is more resistant to abrasion and punctures. It is also easy to patch with tape.
- Lineloc V adjusters are sewn to all tie outs. Bright yellow 2 mm Dyneema® Z-Line cord is cut and attached for you. The yellow lines are very easy to see night or day, and Dyneema® has very low stretch.
- The expected life span of this shelter is at least one full 2500+ mile thru hike, or many years of casual use with some care.
Click here for a printable version.
Guylines are pre-cut and attached for you. Linelocs are sewn in place for adjusting the lines. If you choose to switch out your lines for a different cord these are the default lengths:
Peaks (2x) - Cut 102 inches (259 cm) and tie a stake loop at 40 inches (102 cm). The long end attaches to the tent and the short end attaches to the door hooks.
Side Walls (4x) - 54 inches (137 cm)
Corners, Bottom of Walls (4x) - 32 inches (81 cm).
- Adjust your two trekking poles to around 48 inches (122 cm). If you expect your pole tips to sink into the ground, add a couple inches to compensate.
- Give your corner guylines some slack. Stake out all four corner guylines at a 45 degree angle, roughly straight off the corner points.
- Insert the front trekking pole outside the screen with the handle at the peak and the tip in the ground. Stake the front line.
- If the peak is too high, tighten the front corner lines. If it is too low, loosen them.
- The corners of the tent should be about 6-8 inches (18cm) off the ground.
- Insert the back trekking pole the same way and stake it out.
- If the walls of the tent aren't smooth you may need to reposition the corner stakes or adjust the lines tighter.
- Stake out the two wall tie outs. You can stake the three wall tie outs on each wall independently, or run all three to a single stake.
Any of the four doors can be clipped down, or rolled up independently. The storm doors can be clipped down to the front center guylines, or rolled up depending on the weather. Leave at least one down-wind door open for air flow unless the weather is very bad.
All Zpacks shelters have taped seams and bonded tie outs! No seam sealing necessary.
Click here for full instructions on how to wash our Dyneema® Composite Fabric tents and tarps.
We got an early test in driving rain. We were more worried about the creek flooding then our tent. In the morning it was a quick and miraculous shake and all the leaves, rain and mud had no chance. Very happy. If I’m honest I was hoping the vestibule would be bigger, but nothing’s perfect. We used 8′ Easton Nano Nail Stakes.
Since having our first child, we have loved upgrading from the duplex to the triplex. Fits gear at our feet plus the baby in between us. Obviously the size and weight allow us to camp longer and farther out on trail given all of the added baby gear. Only issues are camping on rocky mountain ground and sandy beaches. Would love to see a freestanding frame setup for the triplex sometime soon.
Amazing tent ! 3 weeks walking in moutains (Massif Central range in France) setting up the tent everywhere with heat wave, storm, rain, animals : no water inside, very easy to set up, confortable for 2 people, very light. This tent is just perfect !
When I wasn’t staying in shelters on a section hike of the AT, I was glad I brought this giant tent for just me. I’m a big guy 6’4” and felt this tent was very comfortable, easy to pitch, weatherproof as the resin just wouldn’t quit, and worth a few ounces for a true 2 person and gear tent. Too many of the 2 person tents on the market aren’t built wide enough to have some room. This tent is just what the doctor ordered. The small weight penalty of the extra space gave me the room to spread out my gear and get some things aired out during downpours while having some space to avoid the claustrophobic tunnel tents. I could sit up and not worry about my stuff getting soaked. All in all good ventilation and a solid tent that weighs nearly nothing in your pack.
The unit is easy to set up and fits 2 comfortably. Haven't used it on the trail yet but very satisfied so far. Zpack makes lightweight durable products.