Arc Haul Zip 64L Backpack
Convenient zip allows me to get to all my gear quickly and easily! The shoulder straps adjusted perfectly to my comfort as did the waist belt. Comfortable fit and honestly feels like nothing on my back when fully loaded
**This backpack has been replaced by our newer Arc Zip Ultra. It has a similar design but is constructed with a more durable Ultra material and features a back panel with Lycra for a more comfortable fit.
Quickly access your bear bag or easily stow your camera gear on remote multi-day hikes with the zippered front loading panel on the ultralight Arc Haul Zip backpack.
Comfortably transfer your pack’s weight to your hips with our patented ‘Arc Frame’ system. The frame also creates a gap between your back and the pack allowing for air flow that helps keeps you cool.
Featuring adjustable shoulder straps, an interchangeable belt, and a variety of optional modular add-ons, the award-winning and durable Arc Haul Zip will allow you to tackle those long days on the trail with a durable ultralight backpack designed to fit you.
Used by Deux Pas Vers l’Autre on their two year thru-hike across Europe.
- Constructed from 4.85 oz/sqyd Gridstop Fabric.
- The pack body is accessed through a large zipper opening on the face of the backpack. The zipper is a #5 waterproof zipper. The top of the pack also has a Roll-Top closure (like our dry bags) which keeps water out, and lets you roll down the top as your gear load shrinks. All seams and attachment points are taped, making the pack highly water resistant. We still suggest using dry bags for your important items like your sleeping bag.
- Two internal horizontal compression straps take stress off of the zipper entry.
- Comfy 3/8" thick by 2.75" wide padded contoured shoulder straps and padded belt. Both the straps and the belt have a daisy chain for clipping on items, and an adjustable position sternum strap is also included. The belt and shoulder straps have 3D mesh on the underside. This gives them a little bit more cushion, and the belt also has more texture for better grip.
- Side pockets are sized to fit 1 or 1.5 liter bottles. They are positioned low on the pack and slanted forward for easy access without removing the pack. The pockets have drainage holes at the bottom, and elastic that keeps them tight at the top.
- The large center pocket is made with solid material and has a waterproof zipper opening. It can swallow two ultralight tents, or other similarly sized gear with room to spare.
- Side compression straps are made from non-stretchy cord for squishing down the pack volume. They also allow you to stand tall items like trekking poles in the side pockets.
- A top strap, and base straps allow you to lash on extra items to the top or base of the pack. The straps come off if you don't need them.
- A centrally located Hydration Port is included to string out a drinking tube over either the left or right shoulder. It is just above/between the shoulder straps and it has a triangular cover to keep out water. A water bladder can either be hung from an internal hang loop or laid horizontally on top of your gear.
- The pack size has enough space for 5-6 days of food and ultralight gear. The pack can be compressed down with the roll top and side compression straps for short trips or use the top strap and base straps to lash extra stuff to the outside for long carries.
- All standard Bear Canisters, including the Bearikade Expedition and the BearVault 500 will fit in the upper half of this pack standing on end. There is enough extra girth to either wrap a foam pad around the canister (if you use one) or stand a medium stuff sack vertically beside the bear canister.
- The short and medium size frames will fit into an airplane overhead bin with the top rolled down to the frame. The tall size frame may not fit unless you pop the vertical frame bars out of the pack.
- Our Flexed Arc Frame is is covered by US Patent No. 9,060,590
- Our torso height adjustment mechanism is is covered by US Patent No. 9,848,687
- All Zpacks gear has a two year limited warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Please see our return / warranty policy.
- Made in the USA.
- Our ultralight Flexed Arc frame keeps the pack stiff so that most weight is carried on the hips instead of the shoulders. The frame pieces and mesh back panel can be easily removed or replaced.
- The frame is curved to allow air flow and keep your back cushioned from the pack's contents. You can adjust the curve by tensioning the mesh back panel. The recommended arch is about 2.5" (6 cm).
- The belt is attached directly to the bottom of the pack frame for the best load transfer.
- The belt is removable and interchangeable. If you lose weight or need to share the pack between people the belt can be swapped out. Watch the belt removal video.
- The shoulder straps and load lifter straps are attached directly to the frame. Load lifters straps come standard on this pack.
- The shoulder straps can move up or down to adjust the torso height to a perfect fit using our patented torso adjustment mechanism. It works like a conveyor belt. This is great for sharing the pack between people, for growing teenagers, or for resale.
- The belt provides a full wrap around your back. No need for additional lumbar support.
- The belt is done with "V Style" webbing so that the top and bottom circumference can be adjusted independently. This helps wrap your hips much more securely, and prevents the belt from sliding down.
- Collectively these features provide the additional load transfer necessary for loads up to around 40 lbs (18 kg).
Body dimensions: 8" x 12.5" x 30" (20 cm x 31.8 cm x 76 cm)
Volume: 64L (49L main body, 2.5L each side pocket, 10L center pocket)
Frame Height: Short 19" (48.3 cm), Medium 21.5" (54.6 cm), Tall 24" (61 cm)
.3.5 oz/sqyd Mesh
This is the mesh that we use on our backpack's center pockets. It has a relatively light weight for mesh, while being difficult to tear. It can withstand getting caught on branches and other typical abrasion that backpacks are subjected to. The hole size is a about 4 mm (a little over 1/8").
Weight: 3.5 oz/sqyd (119 g/m²)
5.3 oz/sqyd 3D Spacer Mesh
This mesh has a three dimensional structure which allows airflow and adds cushioning. It has a tricot backing so you can't see clear through the holes. We use it on the underside of our backpack's shoulder straps and belts to absorb sweat, add cushion, and add grip. Our 3D mesh weighs less than most other types.
Weight: 5.3 oz/sqyd (180 g/m²)
Thickness: About 3/32" (2.5 mm)
To measure your torso height, you will need the help of a friend and a string or cloth tape measure.
Most hikers wear their belt near the top of their hips, however, it isn’t uncommon for hikers to position their belt higher or lower.
To ensure you lock in the perfect fit, we suggest putting a belt on over your clothes in the spot where you’d like to belt to ride. Start your measurement at the center of the belt where it meets your spine.
Lower your chin towards your chest. This will cause the C7 vertebrae to protrude at the base of your neck. The C7 vertebrae will mark the top of your torso height measurement.
Using the string or cloth tape measure, follow the curve of your spine up from the center of your belt to your C7 vertebrae. This measurement is your torso height.
The padded portion of the belt is 1" shorter than the listed minimum adjustment. For example a "Medium (30-36 inches)" belt has padding which measures about 29" tip to tip, and has a minimum adjustment circumference of 30". It is the recommended size if your actual measurement is up to 36" however the webbing extends further.
To measure your belt size, pull a string or cloth tape measure tight around the spot you’d like your belt to ride. Choose a belt with a minimum adjustment of a couple inches smaller than your actual waist measurement. This will leave room for you to tighten down the belt if you lose a little weight on trail.
The belts on our Arc Series packs are also removable and interchangeable. This will give you the ability to switch the belt out if your waist size changes or if you order the incorrect size by mistake.
- Arc Haul Zip
Arc Haul Zip 64L
Such a great pack. Small enough for weekend trips yet large enough for up to 7-9 days out. Very comfortable too, no trouble with a 40lbs load. Thanks Zpacks!
Zpack Arc Haul Zip - LOVE IT
I love my new pack. It's very comfortable and has a great amount of space without the added weight. I LOVE IT
The plusses more than outweigh a couple of minor flaws.
PROS: It weighs almost 3 lbs less than my backpack from a competitor, though that backpack carries 30 plus pounds of gear more comfortably. The ability to access your gear by unzipping the AHZ so that you can see all of the contents of the main, interior pocket is very convenient for both packing, as well as accessing your gear. I will always use a dry bag for my sleeping bag, etc., but so far the backpack has been waterproof when I have been caught in the rain. I did buy a pair of top side pockets to hold my cooking gear and fuel canister, as that gave me more storage room inside the pack. I had sufficient room to pack everything I needed for overnight backpacking in the Smokies. I also recommend getting the water pouches that you can install on the front shoulder straps. I had a water bottle in one, and bear spray in the other. It made reaching my water bottle much easier than if it was in the bottom side pocket. I also bought the front utility pocket accessory (FUPA), which I really like. It has enough room to hold my cell phone, nutrition bars, and other small items one frequently needs while hiking, without having to stop and get something out of the backpack. CONS: I highly recommend buying and installing extra shoulder pads. Until I did, the tops of my shoulders felt bruised after carrying a fully loaded backpack more than three or four hours. A major irritant to me is that although you can use a hydration bladder with this backpack, you have to hang it inside your backpack with a carabiner. No strap with a clip to hang your bladder with is provided.
Incredible pack. I would recommend this pack to everyone. This pack has added distance, days and smiles on all 4 field tests I have done with it. I haven’t had a single problem or complaint. The most surprising feature is how dialed in you can adjust the weight distribution for extreme comfort in a variety of adventures depending on what you need to carry and where you are. Leave No Trace
My Happy Companion
I purchased my first ZPack in early 2021. Since then I have completed many day hikes and about 100 miles of backpacking with my Zpack which included steep pass climbs (situations where packs are least comfortable for me). I am so happy with this purchase! I must admit I was hesitant with this purchase since there wasn't a woman's specific design. The pack is very comfortable, but the most surprising thing is that I can wear a full brimmed hat without discomfort of the hat rubbing the pack and causing me to crane my neck. Another bonus is that I was able to fit my friend's Bearikade Weekender sideways into my pack giving more packing options than the version of this pack that the main compartment is an inch narrower. For reference, the Bear Vault 500 does not fit sideways into the pack and I am anxiously awaiting my backordered Weekender to arrive for my full UL setup. Happy Hiking!