Arc Haul Scout 50L Backpack
Designed specifically for people with shorter torsos, the Arc Haul Scout features our adjustable and patented 'Flexed Arc' frame which creates an air gap between your back and the pack, keeping you cool and providing a super comfortable fit. A smaller frame size creates a good fit for most hikers with a torso height shorter than 17" (43cm).
Designed to accommodate a wide variety of modular add-ons, the Arc Haul Scout allows you to dial in your perfect set up.
- Constructed from 4.85 oz/sqyd Gridstop Fabric.
- Roll-top closure (like our dry bags) keeps water out, and lets you roll down the top as your gear load shrinks. All seams and attachment points are taped, making the pack highly water resistant. We still suggest using dry bags for your important items like your sleeping bag.
- Comfy 3/8" thick by 2.5" wide padded contoured shoulder straps and padded belt. Both the straps and the belt have a daisy chain for clipping on items, and an adjustable position sternum strap is also included. The belt and shoulder straps have 3D mesh on the underside. This gives them a little bit more cushion, and the belt also has more texture for better grip.
- Side pockets are sized to fit 1 or 1.5 liter bottles. They are positioned low on the pack and slanted forward for easy access without removing the pack. The pockets have drainage holes at the bottom, and elastic that keeps them tight at the top.
- Large stretchy mesh center pocket is great for quick access items. Mesh also lets you dry wet clothing and gives you a clear view of your gear.
- Side compression straps are made from non-stretchy Dyneema cord for squishing down the pack volume. They also allow you to stand tall items like trekking poles in the side pockets.
- A top strap, and base straps allow you to lash on extra items to the top or base of the pack. The straps come off if you don't need them.
- A centrally located Hydration Port is included to string out a drinking tube over either the left or right shoulder. It is just above/between the shoulder straps and it has a triangular cover to keep out water. A water bladder can either be hung from an internal hang loop or laid horizontally on top of your gear.
- The 50L pack size has enough space for 5-6 days of food and ultralight gear. The pack can be compressed down with the roll top and side compression straps for short trips or use the top strap and base straps to lash extra stuff to the outside for long carries.
- All standard Bear Canisters, including the Bearikade Expedition and the BearVault 500 will fit in the upper half of this pack standing on end. There is enough extra girth to either wrap a foam pad around the canister (if you use one) or stand a medium stuff sack vertically beside the bear canister.
- The short and medium size frames will fit into an airplane overhead bin with the top rolled down to the frame. The tall size frame may not fit unless you pop the vertical frame bars out of the pack.
- Our Flexed Arc Frame is is covered by US Patent No. 9,060,590
- Our torso height adjustment mechanism is is covered by US Patent No. 9,848,687
- All Zpacks gear has a two year limited warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Please see our return / warranty policy.
- Made in the USA.
- Our ultralight Flexed Arc frame keeps the pack stiff so that most weight is carried on the hips instead of the shoulders. The frame pieces and mesh back panel can be easily removed or replaced.
- The frame is curved to allow air flow and keep your back cushioned from the pack's contents. You can adjust the curve by tensioning the mesh back panel. The recommended arch is about 2.5" (6 cm).
- The belt is attached directly to the bottom of the pack frame for the best load transfer.
- The belt is removable and interchangeable. If you lose weight or need to share the pack between people the belt can be swapped out. Watch the belt removal video for more information.
- The shoulder straps and load lifter straps are attached directly to the frame. Load lifters straps come standard on this pack.
- The shoulder straps can move up or down to adjust the torso height to a perfect fit using our patented torso adjustment mechanism. It works like a conveyor belt. This is great for sharing the pack between people, for growing teenagers or for resale.
- The belt provides a full wrap around your back. No need for additional lumbar support.
- The belt is done with "V-Style" webbing so that the top and bottom circumference can be adjusted independently. This helps wrap your hips much more securely, and prevents the belt from sliding down.
- Collectively, these features provide the additional load transfer necessary for loads up to around 35 lbs (16 kg).
Body dimensions: 7" x 12.5" x 26" (18 cm x 31.8 cm x 64 cm)
Volume: 50L (37L main body, 2.5L each side pocket, 8L center pocket)
Frame Height: 17.5" (44.5 cm)
.3.5 oz/sqyd Mesh
This is the mesh that we use on our backpack's center pockets. It has a relatively light weight for mesh, while being difficult to tear. It can withstand getting caught on branches and other typical abrasion that backpacks are subjected to. The hole size is a about 4 mm (a little over 1/8").
Weight: 3.5 oz/sqyd (119 g/m²)
5.3 oz/sqyd 3D Spacer Mesh
This mesh has a three-dimensional structure which allows airflow and adds cushioning. It has a tricot backing so you can't see clear through the holes. We use it on the underside of our backpack's shoulder straps and belts to absorb sweat, add cushion, and add grip. Our 3D mesh weighs less than most other types.
Weight: 5.3 oz/sqyd (180 g/m²)
Thickness: About 3/32" (2.5 mm)
A person's torso height doesn't necessarily correlate to their total height, a taller person can have a shorter torso and vice versa.
To measure your torso height, you will need the help of friend and a string or cloth tape measure.
To begin, lower your neck towards your chest. This will cause the C7 vertebra to protrude at the base of your neck. The C7 vertebra marks the top of your torso. Next wrap your hands around your love handles and then use your thumbs to feel for the top of your hipbones; also known as the iliac crest. The bottom point of your torso height measurement will be along your spine at the center point between your thumbs.
Using the cloth tape measure, follow the curve of your spine from the C7 vertebra to the center of your spine at the top of your iliac crest. This measurement is your torso height.
To measure your belt size use a string or cloth tape measure pulled tight around the spot on your body that you want the belt to ride. Usually this will be near the top of your pelvic bone. The tape measure should be over top of your hiking pants and shirt. Do not rely on your pant size.
A medium belt has a minimum circumference of about 30" (76 cm) including the buckle. Each belt has about 15" (38 cm) of webbing for adjustment.
Choose a belt with a minimum adjustment a couple inches smaller than your measurement so that you can still tighten it down if you lose a little weight on trail.
The belt on this pack is removable and interchangeable. It can be swapped out.
I just wanted to let you know that the Scout fits me well.
I just wanted to let you know that the Scout fits me well. As I mentioned I am 5' 5" but packs don't stay around my hips once I start walking. They always creep up around my waist because my waist is much smaller than my hips. Also, as a woman, I have narrower shoulders, again making the 'kid pack - Scout' a better fit. I tried other brands and they were too wide for my shoulders so would either rub my neck or scrunch my chest. LOVE the Autumn Orange color, too!"
Highly recommend for torso and height challenged persons.
"I like to say the Arc Scout fits me perfectly - I am 5ft petite in size. Highly recommend for torso and height challenged persons."
I love my new Scout backpack!!!
"I love my new Scout backpack!!! I had to search and go through 4 other backpacks to find one that finally fits!!! At 5'1", and 102#, it hasn't been easy!! I hiked 40 miles around Mt Hood, 80 miles in the Wallowas and 20 in the Strawberry Mtn Wilderness in Oregon with this pack and loading it at between 24-28 pounds at most, it has been very comfortable for me and fits quite well."